Submitting to Kids Can Press
We are committed to developing and promoting literary and artistic talent in all its diversity by amplifying underrepresented voices, and by inviting kids into books that capture different experiences and open their minds to new ideas and perspectives. As a proudly Canadian publisher, we’re particularly keen to showcase homegrown talent, but we also welcome submissions from authors, illustrators and agents around the world.
Kids Can Press is currently accepting the following:
- Non-rhyming picture books for ages 3–5 / 3–7 / 4–8
- Nonfiction for ages 5–8 / 7–10 / 8–12 / 10–14
- Fiction for ages 6–9 / 7–10 / 8–12 /10–14
- Graphic novels (fiction and nonfiction) for all age categories
Authors are encouraged to check out our current catalogs to get a sense of the kinds of books we publish. We like funny, genuine, thoughtful, heartfelt and clever (in any combination!) approaches to all sorts of stories and subjects — fiction and nonfiction — with particular interest in the areas of social-emotional development and mental health, historically underrepresented groups, global citizenship and awareness, and the environment.
If you are over 18 and would like to send us your work, please follow these guidelines:
- Include a cover letter that tells us what you’re submitting, for what age range, and a bit about yourself, including expertise in the subject area (as applicable) and any writing experience.
- Email a typewritten, double-spaced copy of your submission saved as a PDF or Word document to email@example.com. You will receive an automatic reply confirming receipt of your work.
- For picture books, please send the entire manuscript
- For nonfiction, please send an outline + 2–3 sample chapters/sections
- For fiction, please send a synopsis + 3 sample chapters
- For graphic novels (whether fiction or nonfiction), please send a synopsis and/or outline + 3 sample chapters
- Mailed manuscripts will not be accepted.
Other things to know
- Submitting your work to other publishers, too? No problem! Just note that in your cover letter so we’re aware.
- We do not accept manuscripts written by children.
- Due to the very high volume of submissions we receive, we are only able to respond to proposals that we determine are a good fit for our publishing program. As much as we’d like to respond to everyone personally, we simply aren’t staffed to do so.
- We aim to review submissions within three to six months of receipt. If you haven’t received a reply within six months, it’s safe to assume that we are no longer considering your manuscript.
- We regret that we cannot reply to phone queries or follow-up emails.