We do not currently accept unsolicited manuscripts from children or teenagers, or from authors outside of Canada.
At Kids Can Press, we are interested in reading quality picture books and nonfiction manuscripts for children, as well as chapter books for ages 7–10. We do not accept young adult fiction or fantasy novels for any age. To ensure that your manuscript is appropriate for our publishing list, please familiarize yourself with the books that we publish. When submitting your manuscript, please follow the guidelines listed below.
- The manuscript must be typewritten and double-spaced, with your name and address on both the manuscript and cover letter. For picture book submissions, please send a copy of the entire manuscript. For chapter book submissions, we require a synopsis and approximately three sample chapters. Please do not send the entire manuscript unless requested to do so.
- We do not consider manuscripts submitted on disk, by fax or by e-mail.
- Please do not send us the only copy of the work.
- Due to the high volume of submissions that we receive, we will only respond to those that are of interest for possible publication. Therefore, a self-addressed, stamped envelope is unnecessary — all materials will simply be recycled. If you have not heard from us within six months of submitting your manuscript, you can assume that it is not right for Kids Can Press.
- Please do not send original artwork with your manuscript. It is not necessary for art to be created in advance of a manuscript being accepted for publication. Should a manuscript require illustrations, Kids Can Press will make arrangements for the artist. However, if you are a professional artist, please include photocopied samples of your work along with a brief résumé outlining your experience.
- You are welcome to send your proposal simultaneously to other publishers rather than submitting it exclusively to Kids Can Press.
WE REGRET THAT WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION ABOUT THE STATUS OF YOUR MANUSCRIPT BY PHONE, MAIL OR E-MAIL.
Address the envelope to:
Kids Can Press
25 Dockside Drive